CIEE, my study abroad program, is great for many reasons, one being that they have day trips and weekend trips for the students pretty regularly (I don’t have to pay out of pocket for the trips so it feels like a free trip, but really, they’re included in the program fee). Las Saturday was the first of the four main trips, and we left for Cádiz early in the morn. Cádiz sits on a peninsula in the Atlantic coast of Spain and is the oldest town in Europe, so there’s a lot of really old stuff to see there. We spent the morning on a walking tour of the Old Town with our guide Safari Hat Fernando, seeing the Catedral, the roman theater, the many plazas, some churches, and the market in town.
| the two towers are of the Catedral- the rest is a bunch of old buildings that I don't remember the names of...sorry |
![]() |
| la Catedral |
| view from the top of the Catedral |
It would be a crime to skip seafood so close to the sea, so a group of us went to eat seafood after our tour. Some Spanish boys came with our group, and we let them order for us. So I’m not entirely sure what I ate for lunch, but I do know I ate shark, cuttlefish, these little guys that are like calamari but still have the eyes in them, fried shrimp (but if you made fried shrimp like you make a corndog), little fish that were still whole, and something else that used to live in the ocean.
| in the market. looks like lunch! |
![]() |
| lunch bunch. I loved whatever it was that I ate! |
Can’t take a trip to Cádiz without a stop at the beach! There are a ton of beaches in Cádiz, but we went to the Playa de la Caleta. It’s in the old town, and it looks a lot like Havana, Cuba (according to Fernando, but I mean, I’ve never been there). Movies set in Cuba will often shoot in Cadiz if they’re not allowed in Cuba. We had perfect beach weather: it was almost hot, the water was almost cold and oh-so-blue, and I survived the afternoon with only a light pink tinge to my skin. It was a beautiful afternoon at the beach!
| Playa Caleta- Die Another Day was filmed here- no sign of James Bond, unfortunately |
Sadly, it came to an end all too soon, and I arrived in Sevilla in time for dinner, which happened to be fish. It was a wonderful way to spend my last "free" weekend- real classes on the following Monday!
hasta luego,
Marion



Sounds like a fun time at the beach... I have decided when you come home, you can be the cook!! Strange aquatic sea creatures... :). Who are you and what have you done with my daughter?? Love you, Mom
ReplyDeleteWhat adventurous eating! You're amazing, Marion.
ReplyDelete